Missoula Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Representing Injured Bikers in Missoula, MT
Motorcycle accidents are often catastrophic, resulting in severe injuries and even death. When these accidents are caused by the negligence of another, victims and their families have the right to pursue compensation for their damages. At Hoyt & Blewett PLLC, we understand the unique challenges that come with motorcycle accident cases, and we are prepared to fight for the maximum compensation you are owed.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can be caused by a variety of factors. In many cases, these accidents are the result of negligence on the part of another motorist. When this is the case, the injured motorcyclist can file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver and seek compensation for their damages.
Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Left-turn collisions: One of the most common types of accidents occurs when a motor vehicle makes a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle. This typically happens when a car or truck fails to yield the right-of-way to the motorcycle, resulting in a collision.
- Rear-end collisions: Motorcycles are more likely to be rear-ended by larger vehicles, especially when traffic comes to a sudden stop. Inattentive or distracted drivers may not notice the motorcycle in front of them in time to brake and avoid a collision.
- Unsafe lane changes: Motorcycles can be easily overlooked in a vehicle's blind spot, leading to accidents when a car or truck changes lanes without properly checking for the presence of a motorcycle. Motorists must be diligent about checking their mirrors and blind spots before changing lanes.
- Opening car doors: Parked or slow-moving cars can pose a danger to motorcyclists if a driver or passenger opens a car door into the path of an oncoming motorcycle. This is commonly referred to as "dooring" and can result in a collision or the motorcyclist swerving to avoid it.
- Speeding and reckless driving: When drivers of cars or trucks exceed the speed limit or engage in aggressive driving behaviors, they have less time to react to motorcycles on the road. Speeding drivers are more likely to rear-end or sideswipe motorcycles.
- Failure to yield right-of-way: In many accidents, the car or truck driver fails to yield the right-of-way to the motorcycle, whether at intersections, during lane changes, or while merging onto highways. This lack of awareness and disregard for traffic rules can lead to collisions.
- Distracted driving: The use of smartphones, navigation systems, or other distractions by car and truck drivers can take their attention away from the road and impair their ability to notice motorcycles in their vicinity.
- Impaired driving: Alcohol or drug impairment can significantly affect a driver's judgment, reaction time, and ability to operate a vehicle safely. Impaired drivers are more likely to cause accidents with motorcycles.
- Failure to see the motorcycle: Motorcycles are smaller and less visible than larger vehicles. Inattentional blindness, where drivers may look but not "see" motorcycles, can lead to accidents. Motorcyclists can take steps to increase their visibility, such as using headlights, reflective gear, and lane positioning.
- Sudden lane changes by motorcyclists: While many accidents are caused by car and truck drivers, motorcyclists can also contribute to accidents by making sudden or erratic lane changes without signaling or confusing other drivers.
Motorcycle accidents can also be caused by defective motorcycle parts or equipment. In these cases, the injured motorcyclist may be able to file a product liability claim against the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer of the defective part or equipment.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcyclists are at a much higher risk of injury than those in passenger vehicles. Even when motorcyclists wear helmets and other protective gear, they are still vulnerable to serious injuries in the event of a crash.
Some of the most common injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Severe burns
- Road rash
- Loss of limb/amputation
- Soft tissue injuries
- Broken bones
Motorcycle accident injuries are often life-altering. In many cases, victims are left with permanent disabilities that require ongoing medical care and prevent them from returning to work. If you or someone you love was injured in a motorcycle accident, our attorneys can help you fight for the full, fair compensation you are owed.
What Compensation Is Available for Motorcycle Accident Victims?
Motorcycle accident victims may be entitled to compensation for both economic and non-economic damages.
Some of the most common damages awarded in motorcycle accident cases include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
In some cases, the at-fault party may also be ordered to pay punitive damages. Unlike other types of damages, which are meant to compensate the victim, punitive damages are meant to punish the at-fault party and deter others from engaging in similar behavior.
Why Choose Hoyt & Blewett PLLC?
At Hoyt & Blewett PLLC, we are committed to helping the injured and their families. We understand the unique challenges that come with motorcycle accident cases, and we know what it takes to win. Our attorneys have been serving the injured since 1985, and we have a proven track record of success. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients, and we are prepared to fight for you.
When you choose our firm, you can expect:
- Compassionate, personalized legal services. We understand that every case is unique, which is why we take the time to get to know you and your situation. We will work with you to understand your goals and develop a legal strategy that is tailored to your needs.
- Aggressive advocacy. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and are often able to secure favorable settlements for our clients. However, we are also experienced trial lawyers and are always prepared to take your case to court, if necessary.
- Responsive communication. We know that you have questions and concerns, and we are here to help. Our attorneys are always available to answer your calls and respond to your emails. We will keep you informed about the progress of your case and provide you with the information you need to make the right decisions for you and your family.
Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and are often able to secure favorable settlements for our clients. However, we are also experienced trial lawyers and are always prepared to take your case to court, if necessary.
At Hoyt & Blewett PLLC in Montana, we understand the devastating impact of personal injuries and wrongful deaths on families. With over 100 years of combined experience, our dedicated team of Montana injury attorneys is here to provide compassionate and skilled legal representation. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case and understand your needs.
Hoyt & Blewett has proven time and again that we are more than willing to take personal injury and wrongful death cases to trial, with the results being very favorable for our clients. Our track record speaks for itself, as we have obtained numerous top personal injury verdicts in Montana, including 18 jury verdicts surpassing $1 million.
If you or someone you know has suffered damages due to the negligence of another, it is important to contact a trial lawyer who will vigorously represent your interests against insurance companies and other corporate defendants.
From their office in Great Falls, Hoyt & Blewett PLLC serves injured clients throughout Montana including Great Falls, Helena, Missoula, Billings, Kalispell, Bozeman, Butte, Anaconda, and Sidney.