Getting into an accident can be a very traumatic event, and dealing with the insurance company is often the last thing on one’s mind should be dealing with your insurance provider. But promptly reporting your insurance claim and providing supporting documentation is an important first step to ensuring that you get the settlement you deserve. The insurance claim lawyers at Hoyt & Blewett have more than 30 years of experience handling cases against insurance companies, and can assist you in reviewing and submitting your claim. If necessary, Hoyt & Blewett is well prepared to file a lawsuit against the insurance company and proceed to a jury trial.
- Hopefully you will never end up in a car wreck or truck accident, but if you are, here are a few tips to make the process easier:Be sure to purchase enough insurance to cover your damages in the event that you are injured in a car accident caused by someone else. Many Montana motorists fail to obtain enough under insured motorist coverage to cover all of the injuries they suffer in a car accident caused by another driver. This is often due to the fact their insurance agents often don’t fully understand the importance of under insured motorist coverage. Before purchasing under insured motorist coverage you should confirm the total amount of coverage that is available under your policy and inquire whether the coverages on each vehicle are “stackable”. It is critical to protect yourself from irresponsible drivers by purchasing under insured motorist insurance coverage.
- Know your policy – Read your policy carefully and know what’s covered, what isn’t and what the potential deductibles are.
- Always report an accident to the police as soon as possible, even if it is a minor fender bender.
- If you have to file a claim, do it as soon as possible, as some policies might require that you notify them within a certain time period.
- Take notes and pictures at the scene of the accident. This includes identification of the vehicles, badges of emergency personnel, and the names and contact information for everyone involved. Take photos of your injuries. Failure to get this information can cause a delay in processing your claim.
- Don’t accept money, don’t accept fault, don’t agree to forget about the accident and don’t rush into a settlement. If you question the fairness of a proposed settlement offer, seek legal advice from personal injury lawyers who handle insurance claims.
- Document and support your claim with proof and documentation.
- Be cautious about signing a medical authorization and never give the insurance company permission to speak directly with your doctors. The better practice is to obtain the medical records and bills yourself and submit them to the insurance company.
- Don’t lie or exaggerate your claim.
- Present clear requests in writing that explain what you need, when you need it, and why you are entitled to it.
Never sign legal documents without consulting with a qualified lawyer. The auto accident lawyers at Hoyt & Blewett are highly trained and experienced professionals who can handle your claim for you in Montana state and federal courts. Having your insurance claim wrongly denied or undervalued can be devastating, but acting now to protect your rights is the first step. Call the Montana accident attorney advocates at Hoyt & Blewett today.